In Indian context, Naturopathy is not new. Most of the principles, concepts & practices of Naturopathy are very well part of Indian tradition and culture. Be it fasting once in 15 days or full moon days or on special occasions, taking dip in rivers or sea on auspicious days, consuming seasonal fruits or vegetables, having mud or sand bath or sun bath – all are routine practices, which are in built in daily life. Moreover, simple changes in the lifestyle or dietary pattern when a person falls ill is also very much seen in Indian community. Probably, Gandhiji was very well aware about this fact and that’s why he was having the firm conviction that only Naturopathy can make Indians self-reliant in health issues. He dreamt to take Naturopathy to each and every door step of our people in the country.
Naturopathy may be defined as it is a system of man building in harmony with the constructive principles of Nature on physical, mental, moral and spiritual planes of living. It has great health promotive, disease preventive and curative as well as restorative potential. According to the manifesto of British Naturopathic Association, “Naturopathy is a system of treatment which recognizes the existence of the vital curative force within the body.” It therefore, advocates aiding human system to remove the cause of disease i.e. toxins by expelling the unwanted and unused matters from human body for curing diseases.
Naturopathy- as the name indicates it is natural. It is natural to the body and mind to update and maintain its health status to its optimum level. We have immense examples of people who followed Naturopathy principles and practices, never seen a doctor in their life. Such is the potentiality of Naturopathy.
The positive points about Naturopathy are many and few of them are:
- Purely drugless in nature, thereby devoid of all the side effects of so called drugs or drug systems.
- Simple, easily adoptable practices, yet it is cost effective.
- Naturopathy lifestyle and treatments are focused to develop vitality or vital force (immunity) in an individual.
- Naturopathy Lifestyle can very well take care of the risk factors of several diseases, thereby there will be no disease or less disease.
- Naturopathy is having its own well developed diagnostic system, which is scientific, although it is unexplored. Even in terms of diagnosis and prognosis the Naturopathy methods are non-invasive and cost effective.
- It can get along with treatment of any drug system and will not interfere in anyway the on-going treatment. Rather it will facilitate the healing process by acting as catalyst to the on-going treatment.
- Naturopaths treat the whole person but not just their illness. This holistic approach brings added benefit to the person undergoing the treatment.